Terms of Reference for development of Resource Manual on Creating safe public space for women and girls and addressing VAW in public space
Women’s Rehabilitation Centre (WOREC) is a non-governmental organization working for the protection and promotion of human rights. Established in 1991, WOREC is one of the leading national organizations that works to prevent violence against women, its causes and consequences, and to ensure economic, social and cultural well-being of women as well as other marginalized groups by promoting their access to rights and social justice.
The organization also responds to violence against women and girls in private and public space by providing counseling and support (legal, necessities, medications, rehabilitation etc.) to the survivors through counseling centers and safe houses.
Background of Consultancy
WOREC requires services of firm or individual for development of comprehensive resource manual on creating safe public space for women and girls and addressing VAW in public space. The resource manual is expected to bridge capacity of community based organization (CBOs), civil society organization (CSOs), development organization, social activists, women human rights defenders (WHRD), local leaders, human rights defenders and authorities on creation of safe public safe for women and girls, and prevent and address Violence against Women and Girls (VAWG) in public space. The consultancy will also analyze international human rights instruments and national laws policy addressing the VAW in public space.
Manual based on feminist principle will define the concept and narration of GBVAW and girls in public space. The manual and facilitator’s guide will act as a tool that support to shifts and change in narratives on GBVAW in public space, strengthening of women rights activists, CBOs and local representatives with better information and greater knowledge on the issue.
Scope of Consultancy
The consultancy firm or individual expert will carry out need assessment, undertake a desk research to review existing materials, conduct consultation, collect data and information, and prepare a comprehensive resource manual and facilitator’s guide on creating safe public space for women and girls and addressing VAWG in public space. Consultant will also mainstream the knowledge and information acquired through thematic research on VAWG in public space carried out in the same project.
The purpose of the consultancy is to develop i) a comprehensive resource manual on creating safe public space for women and girls and addressing VAWG in public space ii) facilitator’s guide iii) toolkit for documentation of SGBV in public space.
The manual and facilitator guide shall be structured and designed in modules.
The manual will include but not limited to:
- Concept and narration of SGBV in public space,
- Strategies and intervention on developing and maintaining inclusive, diverse, safe, and empowering public space for girls and women
- Promoting accessibility, participation and equal opportunity, rights and mobility of women and girls in all public space
- Analysis of use of public space by women and girls
- Appropriate intervention approaches and strategies to address GBVAW in public space
- Role of CBOs, CSOs, local government, stakeholder, authorities, and community to prevent and respond to VAWG in public space.
- Information on support mechanisms
- Documentation of violence against women and girls in public space
- International and national human right instruments, laws and policies that address VAWG in public space
- Understanding of women human rights, gender concepts, gender equality and women empowerment, social and gender-based violence
The consultant is expected to use a multi-dimensional approach to research and manual development through use of primary and secondary sources of information. Consultations with CBOs and required stakeholder will be carried out in WOREC’s working district in Kathmandu, Udayapur, Morang and Dang.
The evaluators may not limit if other information, approaches and methodologies is considered important to meet the objectives of the consultancy. The final decision on how to proceed for development of manual and which methods to apply will be submitted by consultant and carried out in mutual agreement.
Requirements and Expertise
Following areas of experiences and expertise is required for consultancy services:
- Experienced in development of resource manuals, facilitators guide, IEC development and, social and behavioral change communication.
- Experienced in working with women’s right organizations, I/NGOs, UN agencies dealing with awareness raising, advocacy and engagement
- The team should be experienced in participatory methodologies, monitoring and evaluation.
- Knowledge and understanding country context, human rights and development issues.
- Knowledge on capacity building, gender issues, social inclusion, human rights, peace and local governance.
The consultant should have Master Degree with at least 10 years of experience of working in the issues of gender, gender equality, women’s and girls empowerment, social development or related fields. The person should also have experience in human rights and communication programs.
- The duration of consultancy is three months and should be completed by 25th December 2020.
Documents to be submitted
- Letter of interest detailing understanding of the task and highlighting experience and expertise in similar works;
- Financial proposal
- CVs of competent resource person who will support the provision of the service
- List of previous and current clients detailing works carried out in the similar field
- Companies providing services need to submit copy of all legal documents, and in-in case of individual consultant document ensuring their registration in VAT needs to be submitted.
Relationship of the Parties;
In performing the services, the consultant/resource person shall act as an independent consultant and shall not be deemed to be an employee or agent of WOREC. The consultant shall be solely responsible for and shall be liable for, indemnify, defend and hold WOREC harmless against all wages, fees, contributions, charges and taxes required by legislation. All appropriate deductions are made in respect of income tax and other contributions.
WOREC shall not be liable for providing any benefits of any kind except as provision of payment mentioned above in sub heading 3 to the Resource Person/consultant.
This contract shall not be deemed to create any kind of partnership, joint venture, agency or franchise agreement with the Resource Person/consultant or sub-contractors (if any).
This is a short-term consultancy assignment. The budget for this assignment will be as per the procurement policy of organization and tax will be deducted as per the government policy of Nepal.
Apart from that, organization will not take any access and unforeseen budget against agreement between both parties.
The work will be released under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Address Balkumari, Lalitpur
- Salary Offer Negotiable
- Experience Level Mid
- Total Years of Experience 0-2
- Academic Degree Bachelor
- No. of Vacancy/s 1